Can we perform actions in CSV file just like in EXCEL?

Can we perform actions in CSV file just like in EXCEL?

No, but you canconvert a csv to excel and then use the Excel built-in RPA Express actions.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m trying to open a CSV file through Excel Action Library (Open Spreadsheet). When I run it, I’m getting an error like “incorrect file type”?

Doesn’t ‘Open Spreadsheet’ accept CSV files? Or am I doing something wrong?

Kindly help.

Thanks
Jagathesh

1 Like

only xls and xlsx is supported

2 Likes

Hi

I am trying to open excel with xlms format with the help of open spreadsheet.

Can we browse this type of file in open spreadsheet action library?

@amol_sonavane
Amol, please see the answer above.

You can open an xlsm document by clicking the Cortana button, then typing the path to the file, and adding an “enter” at the end of the path.

We wanted to do this as well, and I finally figured this out yesterday.

1 Like

And also by using:

Win+R
Paste Address
Press Enter
Do your work directly in excel rather than the background.

1 Like

The issue is Bonnero, that Studio will not open a Macro-enabled Excel file, so we cannot “do the work directly in excel rather than the background.” That is the issue we are trying to get around.

Hi

I can open macro enabled excel files using the Win+R command and do it all the time. For example I use a short macro to count the number of mails in a mailbox before processing them.

See the attached example which works on my machine. The only thing to note is that you need to include the entire file path in quotation marks - eg “c:\users\name…\excelfile.xlsm”

This will open the macro file and then you can perform operations in the foreground as usual.

Hope this helps and that I am still not misunderstanding your question.

1 Like

AH! Now I got you. I thought you meant use WF Studio to manipulate Excel. I was pointing out that because we can’t open .xlsm files, WF Studio does not recognize that the file was open, so it cannot interact with it.

I think we are 100% in agreement, sometimes we will need to use Excel macros to do some of the Excel automation. Which is totally fine with me! :slight_smile: It’s just another tool in the toolbelt.

1 Like