Files/Folders actions and looping each file in a folder

files-and-folders
feature-request
implemented

In searching the forum and knowledge base, I am not finding any guidance on performing actions on files or folders. Can anyone clarify if basic actions such as “Open Folder”, “Copy File”, “Rename File”, or “Delete File”, exist within RPA Express?

If this functionality does not exist, I can guess the answer to the next part of my question, but…

Another important feature that I can not locate is the ability to loop through each file in a folder.

As a sample use case, I would like loop through all files with in “C:\users\me\documents” folder and if any files have a modified date of older than 30 days, I would like to copy them to “C:\users\me\documents\old” and then delete them from from the original folder.

For “Open Folder”, “Copy File”, “Rename File”, or “Delete File”

I wrote some bat files to perform these actions and get the RPAe to open these bat files to achieve the results.

As a sample use case, I would like loop through all files with in “C:\users\me\documents” folder and if any files have a modified date of older than 30 days, I would like to copy them to “C:\users\me\documents\old” and then delete them from from the original folder.

I know some RPA solutions have a sniffing feature. when the bot sniffs some changes in files, it can performs certain actions.

Writing bat files sounds a little over my head. Can I infer from your answer that RPAe does not have built in actions for files or folders?

I can’t really complain about a free solution, but this was a feature that I used very heavily in another RPA product. I hope this addition gets a lot of votes because my potential use of RPAe will be very limited without that ability,

We have a feature planned which would allow to manipulate local and s3 files and folders. Please vote on this topic to bump the priority.

+1 for the file functionaltiy

+1 for the feature. It’s very important to work with local file/folders.

@jon

Please make sure you vote on the topic at the top.

pinned #9

Which types of files can be read in RPA Express. (as in : .txt, .xml , .csv , JSON etc)

I 've gotten some things to work, just using shortcuts.
Win+e opens a windows explorer
Space moves to the first file
and I can read how many files there are by reading the number of items.

But this is cumbersome and errors some times .

So :+1: for more file features.

This would be great.

Thanks for the inspiration. I decided while we wait for the file features, I could use small helper programs.
So instead of reading forexample the record count with OCR I have a small program that gets the file count and copies the result to the clipboard. I’ll put all these tools in a folder that the scripts can use. Made it here this morning and added it to the script, and its much more stable.

A wish and suggesting to you WorkFusion guys:
It would be nice to Launch an application with a variable. so it is easier to dynamically choose which application to call and set parameters.