How to type in Excel filter search box

Hi all,
I would like to seek help on how to type a text in Excel filter search box. Let me take a simple Example is in the picture below.

I manage to click the mouse at Search box, but when I use Keystroke to type (let say China) - it ends up to not type in the Search box, but it types in cell A1. I think this is because the Keystroke action is not nested under the Search box window? but i’m not sure how to solve it. Thanks for your help in advance!

Yes, you are right, you need to switch to the Search window before you can type in it.
You can just record your action in the Excel file, and the Recorder will capture all window actions automatically.

Hi @ashapkina,
But the search Window doesn’t have a name itself, and it doesn’t keep opening. So I cannot identify that Search window.
Do you have any suggestion for me to identify that search window? Thank you!

If you press Insert Recording and record your actions in Excel, this window will be captured automatically

Let me know if it doesn’t work.

1 Like

Hi @ashapkina,
Thanks for your quick reply.
I tried that and it shows the same result vs your. The name of the window appears. However when I play the recording again, it doesn’t work due to not being able to find the window.

Error executing SwitchWindowAction
com.workfusion.studio.rpa.recorder.playback.PlaybackException: Error executing
Caused by: org.openqa.selenium.NoSuchWindowException: Window ‘[CLASS:Net UI Tool Window]’ is not found

So, the window actually opens on the screen at that time, right?
The bot just cannot find it?

No I see the window is closed after 2nd click mouse. Hence the bot cannot find the window.
Do you have same issue when you did just now with your machine?

1 Like

So it seems like it recorded 2 clicks at the beginning of the workflow, both clicking on the filter icon. Try deleting the second click. It should work correctly then.

1 Like

IT WORKS!! I didn’t notice there are 2 clicks there. Thank you so so much!! You’re life saver :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad I could help! :slightly_smiling_face:

Also, forgot to mention it in my first post: if you want to automate Excel or any other application with keystrokes, and you don’t use clicks on Window Controls, you can do it without switching to the window every time by enabling this option:

In this case, the bot will type in the active window so you will not have this problem

However, we still recommend switching to correct windows - it is good practice.

2 Likes