Install fails - generic 1603 MSI error

I am attempting to perform a silent install by calling the workfusionrpaexpress.msi directly. The install “works” but the msi log comes back with a generic 1603 error. The desktop icon is there and I can run it but I’d like to see if I can have the install work without the error. I checked in the msi log file and the following is the only entry I could find that could be related to the final 1603 error. Any thoughts? I’ve tried installing with anti-virus disabled.

MSI (s) (B8:F0) [09:36:40:088]: Doing action: Action2_PostInstallSteps
Action ended 9:36:40: InstallFinalize. Return value 1.
MSI (s) (B8:1C) [09:36:40:104]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\windows\Installer\MSI9858.tmp, Entrypoint: PostInstallSteps
Action start 9:36:40: Action2_PostInstallSteps.
SFXCA: Extracting custom action to temporary directory: C:\windows\Installer\MSI9858.tmp-
SFXCA: Binding to CLR version v2.0.50727
Calling custom action SetupRPAExpress.cs!RPASetup.CustomAction.PostInstallSteps
Install dir extracted: C:\RPAExpress
Registered RPA x64
Configured firewall
Configured machine registry settings
Configured user registry settings
Bundled JDK path = C:\RPAExpress\Applications\Java
bundled jdk policy updated
JDK_HOME =
jdk policy updated
JRE_HOME =
jre policy updated
Configuring OCR license
Original source:
Exception thrown by custom action:
System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. —> System.ArgumentException: The path is not of a legal form.
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePathFast(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.NormalizePath(String path, Boolean fullCheck)
at System.IO.Path.GetDirectoryName(String path)
at RPASetup.CustomAction.InstallerSourceDir(Session session)
at RPASetup.CustomAction.ConfigureOCRLicense(Session session, String targetDir)
at RPASetup.CustomAction.PostInstallSteps(Session session)
— End of inner exception stack trace —
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at Microsoft.Deployment.WindowsInstaller.CustomActionProxy.InvokeCustomAction(Int32 sessionHandle, String entryPoint, IntPtr remotingDelegatePtr)
CustomAction Action2_PostInstallSteps returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 9:37:07: Action2_PostInstallSteps. Return value 3.
Action ended 9:37:07: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Property(S): WixRollbackFirewallExceptionsInstall = 1€RPAExpress Java€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Applications\Java\bin\java.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress MySQL€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress Minio€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\minio\minio.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress Nginx€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\nginx\nginx.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress Postgres€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\postgresql\bin\pg_ctl.exe€€6€
Property(S): WixExecFirewallExceptionsInstall = 1€RPAExpress Java€2147483647€
€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Applications\Java\bin\java.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress MySQL€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\mysql\bin\mysqld.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress Minio€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\minio\minio.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress Nginx€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\nginx\nginx.exe€€6€€1€RPAExpress Postgres€2147483647€€0€2€C:\RPAExpress\Workfusion\postgresql\bin\pg_ctl.exe€€6€

Hi Jeff, do you get this error in RPA Express 1.2.0?

I will have to download that version and install it. Other info about my issue, I have tired it on windows 7 SP1 and windows 10 build 1607. When I try and run the RPA recorder I get a popup about java runtime environment must be available in order to run Recorder. No java virtual machine was found.

I downloaded version 1.2.0 and I see the resources folder now has 6 MSI files. Do you have silent install instructions, are there command line switches I can use with the rpaexpressinstaller.exe?

Hi Jeff,
No, sorry, we don’t have instructions or best practices for silent install as it is not formally supported in RPA Express. It wasn’t tested so we cannot guarantee that silent install will work correctly.