Number of Keystrokes limited to two?

excel
keystrokes

Hi,
I am trying to convert a string to a number using keystrokes. The Excel keystrokes to this are Ctrl+Shift+$. However the Keystrokes step will only allow me to enter 2 keystrokes Crtl+Shift, i.e., it seems to be limited to combinations of 2 keystrokes. Is this correct?
David

Hi @david_masters
the number is not limited to a maximum of two keys. But I think the problem here is that you access the “$” via “shift-4” in a standard keyboard and RPA Express doesn´t seem to handle that. Maybe @ashapkina has a way to achieve this.
Anyway, to convert a string into number you can also use the number format action if that helps you.
https://kb.workfusion.com/display/RPAe/Variables#Variables-ConvertStringtoNumber

@david_masters try releasing the Ctrl key before pressing 4: press Ctrl+Shift, release Ctrl button but keep Shift pressed, press 4. It should record the $ sign as Shift+4 will be pressed.

Yes this worked.
Thanks again for the quick reply.

Hi Tim,
Alesia @ashapkina advice is correct but it has not solved my problem. All variables in Excel are in a string format. When I get a cell value in RPA it is always in a string format. So when I set the value it returns a string format. However, in the spreadsheet I am working on the values are all numbers. I was hoping to use shortcut keys to convert the string back to a value but to no avail. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
David

Hi Alesia,
Whilst the advice is correct but it has not solved my problem. All variables in Excel are in a string format. When I get a cell value in RPA it is always in a string format. So when I set the value it returns a string format. However, in the spreadsheet I am working on the values are all numbers. I was hoping to use shortcut keys to convert the string back to a value but to no avail. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
David

Hi @david_masters
and this also didnt work for you? I assume it would be much faster and more precise than keystrokes.

@david_masters if you need to paste the values in Excel in Number format, you can open the file on the screen and paste it using mouse clicks and keystrokes, in this case it will have the format defined in the excel file.

When you use built-in Excel actions, the value is always a string.

Hi Alesia,
I have been trying to use Ctrl+a then Ctrl+c to copy the data (6 cells with numbers). Switch to another sheet and use Ctrl +v to paste contents.
Nothing is copied and the clipboard appears empty.
Does ctrl+c work?
David

Yes, it should work. Can you share the screenshot of these actions?

See script. Appreciate there might be some redundant steps but thought this simple script should work, The excel spreadsheet has 6 cells populated. I have tried more complicated scripts but to no avail. Thanks, David

@david_masters did you send the script through a direct message?

@david_masters could you share the script please? I didn’t find it anywhere in the thread.

@david_masters thank you, I get it now.

You cannot use keystrokes if you use built-in Excel actions.
Excel actions work with files in the background, without actually opening them on the screen, so there is no UI for the keystrokes to interact with, and they don’t work.

To use the keystrokes, you need to open the file on the screen - use keystrokes and mouse clicks on window controls for it like in this example.

Here is a sample script. You just need to change the filepath.
open-excel.zip (59.5 KB)

Hi Alesia,
Sorry for the delay in responding to this post. I tried Hot Keys and all good. Can open files, select cells, cut and paste, add formulae and so on.
Question. Why would you use the WF inbuilt capabilities in Excel if you can perform the same steps using Hot Keys? The inbuilt capability seems to be limited to strings whereas Hot Keys are not. Is it to simplify common actions and avoid MS licence fees?
David

The built-in Excel actions are executed in background a lot faster than opening the file on the screen and using hot keys.

They are helpful when you need to get a large amount of data that you will use later in the script. Here is a standard example of how you can use it

You still need MS installed on your pc to use it, so it doesn’t influence the license fees.

Hi Alesia,
2 Questions which I hope are simple:

1. You sent me a zipped file but what is the process for importing the file. Unlike most apps there is a File\Open\Directory\xxx.RPAE. But no such function exists in WF, Can you please advise how this is done.
  2. I ran a series of bots in Control Tower which failed. When I try and re-run the workflow, the icon Run This Process disappears. Why and how do I restore the Run This Process icon again?
    Thanks for your help. Your responses have always been helpful.
    Regards,
    David

Hi David,

You need to copy the folder with the recording to the rpae-project folder in your workspace. You can find details on how to do it here: https://kb.workfusion.com/display/RPAe/How+to+Use+RPA+Recorder#HowtoUseRPARecorder-AddingRecordingAddrecording

To re-run a business process, you need to copy it - it will create a new business process instance. Here is a guide and video on how to do it https://kb.workfusion.com/display/RPAe/How+to+Run+a+Business+Process#HowtoRunaBusinessProcess-Howtore-runabusinessprocess

Hi Alesia,
As always, thanks.
Regards,
David